Ecoflame Ethanol Warming/ Heating Gel Sustainability Statement
The California Environmental Protection Agency certifies the superior heating performance and environmental features of Ecoflame Ethanol Warming and Heating Gel. The endorsement from CARB, the highest level of environmental excellence, supports our claim to be the “Gold Standard” for the chafing fuel industry.
- Our supply of Ethanol is provided by one refinery located in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Ecoflame Ethanol Gel is classified by the Brazilian authorities as organic and is a renewable resource.
Our operational/production activities are sustainable as evidenced by the following:
- Cane is grown in the state of Sao Paulo which is 4,000 KM from the tributaries of the Amazon area of Brazil, famous for its rain forests. Only 1% of the total arable land available in Brazil is used to grow sugar cane.
- Weather conditions / natural rainfall minimize the need for watering of growing cane.
- Regionally, sugar cane ethanol yield is 30 % higher in Brazil therefore less acreage is required.
- When compared to corn based ethanol, Brazilian yields of ethanol per acre doubles US corn
based ethanol productivity; the energy balance of sugar cane ethanol production is 8 to 10
times the energy used in production, as compared to 1.3 to 1.6 times the energy used in corn
based ethanol. In central-south Brazil only 1 unit of fossil energy is used for each 9-10 units of
energy produced by ethanol from sugarcane.
- Leaves of the cane are included in the preparation of the outer cartons which are used for shipping of product. Carton carries recognized symbol certifying its’ environmental content.
- Harvesting is becoming largely automated and many of the field workers are unionized.
- Ground cane stalk is used as fuel to generate electricity to complete the refining process.
- No harmful emissions or water run off during the refining process.
- In Brazil, sugar cane has never been considered a basic food crop such as rice, wheat or corn.
- Clean, safe, superior performance; BTU’s are 40% higher than fossil based gels and 100% higher
than poisonous, wick equipped diethylene glycol based fuel.
- No harmful emissions, poisonous carbon monoxide or carcinogenic causing dioxin.
- Sugarcane based ethanol reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 90% while corn based
ethanol only 30%; Ecoflame Ethanol Gel is globally neutral on carbon dioxide emissions.
- Cans are made of steel, designed to be refilled numerous times.
- Cans are refillable from a two litre bottle made of recyclable PET plastic.
- Outer cartons, used cans and bottles, all are recyclable.
- Cans are treated as recycled material when disposed.
- No landfill deposits.